Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Year In the Making

525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear.
525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?
In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee.
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.
In 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life?
How about love? How about love? How about love?
Measure in love.
Seasons of love.


...I realize it's been a year.
Oh, but what a full year.

A year of trial, a year of triumphs.
A year of aching for home and creating and embracing a new one.
Love gained and love given
Same job, new name, new boss, same hair color
One more year at Berea completed, not a vegan, healed from celiac disease
Old church lost, new church family gained
Still watched more movies than read books, but the gap is lessening
My first B at Berea... and my fourth semester of all As
I now speak a different language, but the same language with, hopefully, more fluency
I've discovered Rick Pino and Jason Upton, and Jesus Culture

I held roses, kissed a man, and said I do.
I kissed a man for the first time
I set up house -- and not a dollhouse

I discovered new pieces of myself, and embraced things I wanted to ignore before
I wandered the streets of New York alone
I have been in the minority and majority
I got my first $100 pair of shoes, and my first purse over $50 - and didn't pay for either of them
I called my family and friends more frequently
I became a better boss
I was the co-editor of a magazine with a readership in the thousands
I drew closer to Jesus and he drew closer to me

I am different, but still the same
I have changed, but remain steadfast
My dancing shoes are back, and I don't plan on relinquishing them again...

Thank you, Jesus, for the past year - thank you for never leaving me in the midst of it. You're welcome to show me where to go this year! Please help me listen and love better.

No comments: