Tuesday, May 01, 2007

I’m home!


Hello Friends and Family!
It seems like ages ago that I left home for England last September, not knowing what exactly to expect! Well, now I’m home, and I’m again in that place of slight uncertainty. But, I know He will use this time of uncertainty to continue His good work in me. Over the past seven months, I have gained a new passion for God and He has given me a lot more confidence in Him and taken away many of my fears. Even more encouraging than this, though, is that He is far from done with me!

Let me give you an overview of what happened while I was gone (and some of the highlights)…
Ø I arrived in England a few days early, to try to adjust to the time difference, and to meet Solomon Magura (my brother-in-law’s brother). God totally worked it out so that I could get to know my soon-to-be family through Solomon. He encouraged me greatly as He’s also done a DTS, and we had a lot of fun talking about our two families.
Ø My Discipleship Training School (DTS) started on September 23rd All my senses were overwhelmed for the first few days of trying to settle in and get to know people… on the dormitory issue I was slightly concerned about- well, I shared a room with six other girls, and I slept on the third bunk up (it was a faith-builder getting out of bed every morning!)
Ø My DTS was made up of twenty-five students- twenty-two girls and three guys. We also had six amazing staff members.
Ø During the first 3 months of DTS, we were in lectures- speakers came from the US and UK.
Ø Some of the most powerful things I learned/gained on lecture phase were: confidence- a huge revelation of my identity, some of my key fears were dismantled, and experientially learning how to work through conflict (both the right and wrong way).
Ø December 16th we left our beloved Holmsted Manor and the other half of our team (they went to Indonesia & Malaysia) for outreach phase. Our destination: Elbesan, Albania; a post-communism country that opened to Christianity not too long ago. On outreach phase, my team was made up of 15 people (including two leaders). At first, it felt like we were missing tons of people, but we were able to get to know each other better in a smaller group.
Ø From then until February 17th (when we left to go back to Holmsted for debrief week), we did many different kinds of ministry. One of the main focuses we had was to support the long-term missionaries in their ministry to the Roma Gypsy community that lives on the outskirts of the city. These people are extremely looked down upon by government and
society in general. One Albanian man, who saw us doing an Evangelistic meeting in the Gypsy community, said, “These are the people who steal your clothes and then sell them in [the] market…why are you bothering with these people?!” Praise God that he used our ministry to the Roma Gypsies as a witness to the Albanians!
Ø We did Bible studies, feeding programs, orphanage and daycare visits, many prayer walks, met with English-speaking Muslim students from the high school, and were expectant and available to God for whatever He had for us!
Ø When it came time to go back to Holmsted, there were many tears… It was hard to say goodbye to all the people we had become close to. We had ministered to many, but I was ministered to and challenged so much by the people I met during our time there.
Ø Over outreach, one of the main things God taught me was about relationships- how I relate to others, and how, when I trust people I might get hurt, but in the end, it’s worth it. Also, I think I got a feel of what it would be like to be a long-term missionary. This challenged both the way I think of cross-cultural missionaries, and also the possibility of me being one in my future.
Ø After outreach, we had a fun (but short) reunion with friends that had gone to Indonesia and Malaysia. Also, a new DTS had started at Holmsted, so we made some new friends, too! I also got the chance to go to Finland for a week with Iina, a girl I grew close to on outreach.
Ø I left England on March 15th. Amid lots of tears, I said goodbye to my friends, and to my beautiful Holmsted Manor (*grin*… people in the airport must have thought me quite a sight- my huge backpack and other luggage, bawling my eyes out in the check-in line!).

Now, I’m home! I’ve met my brother-in-law Moses, and had a joyous reunion with friends and family (including my niece who was born just a few days before I left!) God has taught me so much over the past seven months; about my identity in Him, about relationships, about how to hear Him better, and, through all the hard times, I’ve experienced God’s awe-striking love that is more crazy and incredible than I ever thought it could be.

Since coming home, I have purposed to live as a missionary in my home community… not easy, but definitely what God has for me. But that doesn’t mean I’m staying put! In June, I am planning on staffing a missions program for youth ages 14-18 in Las Vegas. I am still in the application process, and would appreciate your prayers for finances, direction, and God’s timing!

Thank you so much to each and every one of you who have contributed your prayers and financial support. It’s hard to put into words how you have helped change my life. At times during DTS, when things were extremely difficult, just knowing people at home were praying for me helped immensely. You have all touched people around the world through me, and my prayer is that you be blessed as a result.
Thank you and God bless,

LeAnna

No comments: